You Can Never Be Too Careful: The Value of a “Shred Everything” Policy
Information coming in and out of your company is constantly at risk of being mishandled or stolen. Human error accounts for over 30% of the data breaches that occur in small business. Criminal “dumpster divers” are regularly hunting for personal or private information that can be found in commercial dumpsters or recycling bins. Considering the ever-increasing rates of identity-theft, as well as the increasing number of regulations to protect confidential information, it is far from prudent for any business to simply throw away documents into the trash or an open recycling bin.
There is always a chance that information can fall into the wrong hands — and that your business will be held liable.
It’s a time-consuming task to train employees which documents should be shredded. It also takes time from already busy schedules to force staff to walk to the office shredder and shred documents themselves.
Federal Records Management & Shredding suggests you simplify this task (and protect your business and save time and effort!). How? Direct everyone to assume that all paperwork is sensitive and should never go in the trash. Install our secure shredder containers and implement a “Shred Everything” policy.
Shred Everything policies are becoming the norm for businesses small and large. The benefits include:
- document disposal is simplified
- confidential information is protected
- employees are easily trained
- risk of information breaches is reduced
- risk of regulatory non-compliance is reduced
- paper is recycled (after shredding at the secure facility) instead of going into the waste stream or landfills
Tips for implementing a Shred Everything policy
- make it simple
- work with a licensed information destruction company such as Federal Records Management & Shredding to install appropriate bins and establish a destruction schedule
- educate staff about the importance of the Shred Everything policy
- allow an adjustment period then begin regular security assessments (i.e. checking copiers, faxes, and trash cans for stray documents)
Federal Records Management & Shredding in Fort Wayne is a NSAID AAA Certified document destruction facility. We protect all documents from the time they enter our secure shredding boxes, through being shredded at our secure facility, until they are received at the paper recycling company. We stay on top of compliance regulations to help you protect your business, your employees, and your clients. Call us today at (260) 267-9652 to learn how our easy-to-use — and economical! — procedures can keep you and your business safe from information breaches.