You Can Never Be Too Careful: The Value of a “Shred Everything” Policy
Information coming in and out of your company is constantly at risk of being mishandled or stolen. Human error accounts for over 30% of the data breaches that occur in small business. Criminal “dumpster divers” are regularly hunting for personal or private information that can be found in commercial dumpsters or recycling bins. Considering the ever-increasing rates of identity-theft, as well as the increasing number of regulations to protect confidential information, it is far from prudent for any business to simply throw away documents into the trash or an open recycling bin.
There is always a chance that information can fall into the wrong hands — and that your business will be held liable.
It’s a time-consuming task to train employees which documents should be shredded. It also takes time from already busy schedules to force staff to walk to the office shredder and shred documents themselves.
Federal Records Management & Shredding suggests you simplify this task (and protect your business and save time and effort!). How? Direct everyone to assume that all paperwork is sensitive and should never go in the trash. Install our secure shredder containers and implement a “Shred Everything” policy.
Shred Everything policies are becoming the norm for businesses small and large. The benefits include:
- document disposal is simplified
- confidential information is protected
- employees are easily trained
- risk of information breaches is reduced
- risk of regulatory non-compliance is reduced
- paper is recycled (after shredding at the secure facility) instead of going into the waste stream or landfills
Tips for implementing a Shred Everything policy
- make it simple
- work with a licensed information destruction company such as Federal Records Management & Shredding to install appropriate bins and establish a destruction schedule
- educate staff about the importance of the Shred Everything policy
- allow an adjustment period then begin regular security assessments (i.e. checking copiers, faxes, and trash cans for stray documents)
Federal Records Management & Shredding in Fort Wayne is a NSAID AAA Certified document destruction facility. We protect all documents from the time they enter our secure shredding boxes, through being shredded at our secure facility, until they are received at the paper recycling company. We stay on top of compliance regulations to help you protect your business, your employees, and your clients. Call us today at (260) 267-9652 to learn how our easy-to-use — and economical! — procedures can keep you and your business safe from information breaches.
Protect Yourself – Shred Your Documents
Businesses in and around Fort Wayne trust Federal Records Mangement & Shredding to shred their confidential documents. Now, Federal Records Management & Shredding offers the same security to residential customers as well.
Everyone has personal papers such as pay stubs and credit card statements around their home or apartment. Don’t just throw away confidential documents, shred them! The Seal N’ Shred Bag provides a secure, convenient, and environmentally-friendly way to collect your confidential documents until they’re ready for destruction.
Three Simple Steps:
- Fill the Seal N’ Shred Bag with your confidential documents. Place any papers with personal and confidential data into the bag. Items such as credit card statements, pay stubs, bank statements, and bills should never be thrown away in the regular trash or recycling.
- Seal the Bag. Once the bag is full, peel the paper off the adhesive strip and fold the flap down to seal the bag and secure its contents
- Shred the Bag. Bring the sealed bag to Federal Records Mangement & Shredding to have the contents destroyed in our secure facilities, or call to schedule a pickup.
The Seal N’ Shred bag is only $15 per bag and includes the price of shredding and the peace of mind knowing that your documents and papers are kept free from prying eyes.
Contact us today to learn more about our Seal N’ Shred residential shredding program and to order your bag. Don’t throw it away, shred it!
Turn Unwanted Documents Into Recycled Products
Federal Records Management and Shredding in Fort Wayne collects documents containing confidential information that must, by law, be destroyed to protect businesses and individuals. We collect this type of paper from local businesses in a variety of ways; including picking up locked boxes or “toters” from an office on a regularly scheduled basis; or when a business has a records “clean out”, collecting large quantities of documents at a single time and hauling them away in our secure trucks.
Once your documents have entered one of our “toters” or have been loaded onto one of our trucks, they are in what we call a “closed chain of custody” until they end up at the paper recycling mill in Wisconsin. Meaning, we take complete responsibility for keeping those sensitive or confidential documents secure until they have been destroyed.
Once your papers reach our facility — which is locked and security monitored 24/7 — they are emptied into our huge, industrial grade shredder by one of our security screened and AAA certified team members.
Monitored by our staff, the paper is fed up a shoot into the shredder. As the paper comes out finely shredded, it is dumped into a huge bin and then compacted. The resulting bales are are about the size of a compact car and weigh around 1300 pounds. The bales are then loaded onto a pickup truck and sent to our paper recycling mill in Wisconsin.
Fox River Fiber foxriverfiber.com is a NAID (National Association for Information Destruction) certified paper recycling facility that turns post-consumer wastepaper into high-quality pulp. The pulp is then used to make printing paper, writing paper, tissue paper, and even FDA-compliant paper products and packaging. Fox River Fiber prides itself on being a “steward of the environment”: “using state-of-the-art equipment, energy saving strategies, new technology, and certifications with various green-focused organizations.”
Fort Wayne Shredding Company
By trusting Federal Records Management and Shredding with your confidential documents, you protect your business, protect your clients, AND help conserve our planet’s natural resources! It’s a win-win situation. So, next you time you need to destroy confidential documents, don’t just throw it away, shred it! Contact us today to learn more about our confidential shredding services in Fort Wayne and other services to help keep your business private.
NAID’s AAA Certification: What Does That Mean for Our Customers?
Federal Records Management and Shredding is proud of our AAA Certification from the National Association for Information Destruction (NAID). NAID is the trade association for the document destruction industry. Its mission is to promote “the standards and ethics of its member companies.” To receive the voluntary AAA Certification from NAID, a paper shredding company must meet and uphold strict requirements every year.
Why Hire a AAA Certified Shredding Company
How does AAA certification benefit you, our customer? By choosing a NAID AAA Certified company, you protect your business, your staff and your clients/patients. The use of a AAA certified facility fulfills federal regulatory requirements that affect your business and validates your information destruction policies and procedures.
Through the AAA Certification Program, NAID assesses the mobile and facility-based operations and destruction of paper, printed media, micromedia, and computer hard drives. The certification must be renewed every year. The purpose of certification is to guarantee that the facility is meeting all of the numerous laws and regulations that protect confidential customer information — thereby, protecting your business and your customers. The audits are unannounced, so we must operate every day and every hour as if an audit will occur.
While at our facility the NAID auditor will:
- Verify that all materials are crosscut shredded, incinerated or pulped in such a way that they cannot be reconstructed.
- Examine storage containers used for information to be destroyed to verify the containers are secured.
- Verify that cardholder data on electronic media is rendered unrecoverable via a secure wipe program in accordance with industry-accepted standards for secure deletion or otherwise physically destroying the media (e.g., degaussing).
- Verify the security of confidential documents throughout all stages of the shredding process such as handling, transporting, storing materials prior to destruction, and destroying and disposing of materials responsibly. This also includes any transfer of custody scenarios.
Paper Shredding Services in Fort Wayne
NAID’s certification program was “developed by information security professionals and recognized by thousands of private and governmental organizations around the world”. Federal Records Management and Shredding, a locally-owned business in downtown Fort Wayne, is proud to be a AAA Certified shredding company and offers our customers the very best in confidential shredding services and destruction. Contact us today to learn more about our shredding services to protect you, your business, your employees, and your customers.