Records management. We talk a lot about it around here. In fact, it’s not only in our name, it’s in our blood. However, few may know what it is or why it’s important to their company.
What is Records Management
Records are the documents that provide all the important evidence of your company’s business. Medical records, business documents, legal filings, or other sensitive information are all obvious records that should be kept. Other pieces of information related to your business may need to be kept as well. All the information created, sent and received in the course of doing business is potentially a record. They keep track of what happened, who made the decision, and what was expected to happen next.
Records management is the handling and storage of those important documents.
Why is Records Management Important?
Managing information — keeping it, tracking it, and being able to retrieve it — protects your business and makes everyone’s job easier. If your records are well-managed you can:
- easily locate documents or information when needed
- reuse previous documents, information, or completed work to avoid “re-creating the wheel”
- determine the most recent, or official, version of a document
- prove why a decision was made or a process implemented
- keep important documents and sensitive information secure
- protect yourself, your clients, and your business
Records Management in Fort Wayne
However, most businesses do not have the time, space, or resources to effectively manage their records. That’s where we come in.
Locally-owned and operated Federal Records Management and Shredding in Fort Wayne can save your company time, reduce liability, and save money by managing this process for you. We offer climate-controlled storage location, online record management system, and highly trained information security professionals to meet your information management needs. Some specific services we offer, include:
- a secure storage facility with 24/7 surveillance inside and out.
- secure pickup and delivery of your documents when you need them (being locally-operated, we offer extremely quick access to your documents)
- indexing and barcoding allow for tracking records every step of the way and facilitates quick retrieval by providing information on the contents of every box
- secure document destruction — when records have reached the end of their life-cycle, they can be shredded at our AAA-certified facility
The professional team at Federal Records Management & Shredding works hard to manage and protect your important information by offering state-of-the-art, records management services.
Need help managing your documents? Contact Federal Records Managment & Shredding today at (260) 267-9652 to learn more.
Importance of Records Management in an Organization
Any business dealing with personal, medical or financial information must understand the potentially devastating consequences that can result from allowing unapproved access to sensitive and confidential information. The list of specific regulations that address information security compliance is lengthy — to mention a few:
- HIPAA or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act,
- The Sarbanes-Oxley Act
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Gramm Leach Bliley Act (GLBA)
- and many more
Unfortunately, the regulations are not written in a way that is easily understood. Security professionals from a certified records management company such as Federal Records Mangement & Shredding in Fort Wayne can explain:
- which laws apply to your business
- what the laws mean for your business’s liability
- and how best to implement compliance with regulations
Every major data protection regulation includes a requirement that organizations have written data protection policies and procedures. Proof of working with a certified records management and destruction company is a key element in proving compliance and reducing your liability should any information-related legal issues arise. Proof that your employees have been trained in information management by professionals from a certified records management company also is crucial for reducing your liability.
Benefits of Records Management
Federal Records Management & Shredding can help protect you, your documents and your business. There are many benefits of records management. Not only can we help you understand the regulations and train your employees in appropriate compliance procedures, we can also:
- organize and retrieve information when needed
- protect important and confidential records
- minimize storage requirements
- reduce operating costs
- improve office efficiency
- ensure regulatory compliance
- minimize the risk of litigation and/or penalties
- maintain retention and destruction schedules
Document security, including storage, destruction, and regulations compliance is our specialty. Contact Federal Records Mangement & Shredding today to ensure you understand the legal ramifications of non-compliance and to establish appropriate policies to protect your business now and avoid compliance issues in the future.
A “Clean Desk Policy”: It’s About Security
Many businesses, especially those dealing with sensitive, confidential, or financial information, are implementing clean desk policies. A Clean Desk Policy requires all employees to clear their desks at the end of each work day.
What Is a Clean Desk Policy?
Yes, a clean desk policy makes the office look neat and tidy, but there’s a much more important reason for enforcing it: it’s a crucial step in protecting your organization from fraud, security breaches, and information theft. It’s a simple and effective way to make sure sensitive information is not left unattended and accessible to prying eyes. A Clean Desk Policy protects your organization and helps your employees stay compliant with privacy and security regulations.
Benefits of a Clean Desk Policy
The benefits of a Clean Desk Policy are numerous:
- to protect your company and your clients
- employees become more aware of the risks of information theft
- office space is better organized and conducive to productivity
- to provide peace of mind for your customers
- to protect your company’s reputation
Implementation has a few basic steps:
- whenever an employee leaves his desk, all sensitive information (even post-its with passwords) should be removed from the desktop
- computers should be set with a password-protected screen saver
- at the end of the day, all information (notes, documents, thumb drives, etc.) should be removed from the desktop and computers should be completely shut down
- when not in use, sensitive documents should be kept in locked cabinets
when no longer needed, sensitive information should be shredded or placed in locked bins for secure shredding
- upper management should follow the same guidelines as the rest of the staff
- the policy should be in writing and should be clearly communicated to employees
- random office checks should be conducted to check for compliance
- reward Clean Desk employees and establish a plan for employees who repeatedly do not comply
A Clean Desk Policy is a straightforward strategy for reducing the risk of security breaches and information theft. Protecting your company doesn’t end there, however. Secure document shredding with a licensed shredding company continues to protect your company until all sensitive information has been completely destroyed. Federal Records Management and Shredding in Fort Wayne helps your business manage its information and stay compliant with their wide-range of information services, including offsite records storage, and secure document and hard drive destruction.
Contact us today at (260) 267-9652to learn how we can help you protect your clients, your business, and your reputation.
Training for You and Your Staff
You know that Federal Records Management and Shredding can take care of all of your document shredding (or records storage) needs. We are a AAA Certified member of the National Association for Information Destruction (NAID). This means that by hiring us, you are taking crucial steps in protecting your business from non-compliance with HIPAA and other confidentiality regulations.
But, did you also know that Federal Records Management and Shredding is certified to train your staff on the requirements and procedures for proper information destruction? This service provides extra protection to your business (and your staff and clients). Should your information protection policies ever be questioned by a regulatory agency, you can prove that your staff has been properly trained by our certified facility.
“Every data protection regulation in the US requires that organizations properly train employees on proper information protection, including proper information destruction,” says NAID. “Just as important, regulators say that organizations who do train their employees on proper information protection will be held less responsible than if the training is not provided in the first place. So not only does the training increase employee compliance, it also reduces the fine.”
The training program offered by Federal Records Management and Shredding to its clients is easy!
- Employees watch a short video that shows why proper document destruction is crucial to the organization and their continued employment.
- Employees are given written instructions of your company’s destruction procedures.
- Employees sign an affidavit that they have received the training, understand their responsibility, and agree that ongoing compliance is a condition of their employment.
These simple steps protect you, your business, your employees, and your clients or patients! Contact us today to learn more about how we can help your company stay in compliance!
How Paper Shredding Saves the Environment
Shredding documents with a professional document destruction company guarantees that any confidential or other high-risk information they contain is securely destroyed. This helps you meet privacy regulations and protects your business, your employees, and your clients, customers or patients.
But did you also know it’s Earth-friendly?
All that paper doesn’t just end up in a landfill! It’s recycled and made into other paper products. After the documents go through our industrial shredder, all that shredded paper is compacted into bales (each weighing about 1300 pounds!). Even though the shredding has made all of the information they contain completely illegible, those bales remain in our completely secure facility until they are delivered to our paper recycling facility.
We use the Fox River Fiber paper recycling facility which has been certified for security by the National Association for Information Destruction. The shredded paper is turned into pulp and then repurposed into anything from printing paper to packaging. Fox River Fiber uses “state-of-the-art equipment, energy saving strategies, new technology, and has certifications with various green-focused organizations.”
Go Green with Federal Records Management & Shredding in Fort Wayne
Federal Records Management and Shredding in Fort Wayne is proud of the value we provide our clients by protecting their sensitive and confidential documents until the information can be completely destroyed. We also pride ourselves on the role we play in helping our environment by keeping all of that paper out of the waste stream and effectively getting it recycled and repurposed.
Earth Day is April 22nd. Celebrate by giving us a call to learn about our document management and shredding services. Protect your business, clients, and employees — and help the Earth — by trusting locally-owned Federal Records Management and Shredding with your confidential document destruction.
Should You Store Your Records Onsite or Offsite? Which is Best?
In most industries and businesses, important records, confidential documents, and information need to be stored, organized and quickly retrievable. However, attempting onsite records management in your own business can quickly become a cumbersome, time-consuming task — wasting valuable space, your time, and that of your employees.
Offsite storage and management solutions offer many benefits over onsite storage. It is an efficient, cost-effective, and secure way to manage and protect your business and its records. Offsite storage from a reputable and certified records management company provides:
- Security: monitored access to the facility, certified document, and hard drive destruction
- Flexibility and Efficiency: records pickup and delivery services, online access to your inventory 24 hours a day
- Cost-Effectiveness: free up expensive office space, allow you and your employees the time to fully focus on your business efforts
At Federal Records Management & Shredding, we help business more efficiently manage important and confidential documents in our secure, climate-controlled facility.
Records Mangement in Fort Wayne
Federal Records Management and Shredding is the greater Fort Wayne area’s only locally owned and operated, AAA certified document management company. Read more about our records management services. Beyond records management and storage, we also offer onsite and offsite secure document shredding and computer hard drive destruction. Our trained and experienced professionals will work with your business to a develop a plan to manage your records and information as effectively as possible.
Contact us today!
Protect Yourself – Shred Your Documents
Businesses in and around Fort Wayne trust Federal Records Mangement & Shredding to shred their confidential documents. Now, Federal Records Management & Shredding offers the same security to residential customers as well.
Everyone has personal papers such as pay stubs and credit card statements around their home or apartment. Don’t just throw away confidential documents, shred them! The Seal N’ Shred Bag provides a secure, convenient, and environmentally-friendly way to collect your confidential documents until they’re ready for destruction.
Three Simple Steps:
- Fill the Seal N’ Shred Bag with your confidential documents. Place any papers with personal and confidential data into the bag. Items such as credit card statements, pay stubs, bank statements, and bills should never be thrown away in the regular trash or recycling.
- Seal the Bag. Once the bag is full, peel the paper off the adhesive strip and fold the flap down to seal the bag and secure its contents
- Shred the Bag. Bring the sealed bag to Federal Records Mangement & Shredding to have the contents destroyed in our secure facilities, or call to schedule a pickup.
The Seal N’ Shred bag is only $15 per bag and includes the price of shredding and the peace of mind knowing that your documents and papers are kept free from prying eyes.
Contact us today to learn more about our Seal N’ Shred residential shredding program and to order your bag. Don’t throw it away, shred it!
It’s All About SECURITY
Are your confidential documents secure? Doctors’ offices and medical facilities are keenly aware of the legal and financial ramifications of non-compliance with HIPAA (the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act). Similar regulations apply to business documents across almost all other industries, any that handle financial data or must comply with consumer privacy laws. Whether the confidential information belongs to your clients, your patients, or your employees, your business can be held accountable for any failures to keep that information secure. Your business’ intellectual property can also be put at risk if it is not properly managed. Protecting yourself and your company from data, document, or identity theft is just part of doing business in today’s world.
Protecting your business information is multi-faceted, requiring:
- a secure physical storage space for documents
- secure destruction of information stored on computers
- proper destruction of important business or client information documents
Appropriate space, management and procedures for each of these aspects will:
- protect your clients, customers or patients
- protect your corporate knowledge
- protect your business should any legal concern arise
Protect yourself and your business by using a professionally certified document storage and destruction facility like Federal Records Management & Shredding. Our locally owned and operated document management company is a AAA-certified member of the National Association for Information Destruction (NAID). Document security and regulations compliance is our specialty.
Talk to Federal Records Management & Shredding about how we can help your business meet those goals — economically, thoroughly and without hassle or worry.
Turn Unwanted Documents Into Recycled Products
Federal Records Management and Shredding in Fort Wayne collects documents containing confidential information that must, by law, be destroyed to protect businesses and individuals. We collect this type of paper from local businesses in a variety of ways; including picking up locked boxes or “toters” from an office on a regularly scheduled basis; or when a business has a records “clean out”, collecting large quantities of documents at a single time and hauling them away in our secure trucks.
Once your documents have entered one of our “toters” or have been loaded onto one of our trucks, they are in what we call a “closed chain of custody” until they end up at the paper recycling mill in Wisconsin. Meaning, we take complete responsibility for keeping those sensitive or confidential documents secure until they have been destroyed.
Once your papers reach our facility — which is locked and security monitored 24/7 — they are emptied into our huge, industrial grade shredder by one of our security screened and AAA certified team members.
Monitored by our staff, the paper is fed up a shoot into the shredder. As the paper comes out finely shredded, it is dumped into a huge bin and then compacted. The resulting bales are are about the size of a compact car and weigh around 1300 pounds. The bales are then loaded onto a pickup truck and sent to our paper recycling mill in Wisconsin.
Fox River Fiber foxriverfiber.com is a NAID (National Association for Information Destruction) certified paper recycling facility that turns post-consumer wastepaper into high-quality pulp. The pulp is then used to make printing paper, writing paper, tissue paper, and even FDA-compliant paper products and packaging. Fox River Fiber prides itself on being a “steward of the environment”: “using state-of-the-art equipment, energy saving strategies, new technology, and certifications with various green-focused organizations.”
Fort Wayne Shredding Company
By trusting Federal Records Management and Shredding with your confidential documents, you protect your business, protect your clients, AND help conserve our planet’s natural resources! It’s a win-win situation. So, next you time you need to destroy confidential documents, don’t just throw it away, shred it! Contact us today to learn more about our confidential shredding services in Fort Wayne and other services to help keep your business private.
NAID’s AAA Certification: What Does That Mean for Our Customers?
Federal Records Management and Shredding is proud of our AAA Certification from the National Association for Information Destruction (NAID). NAID is the trade association for the document destruction industry. Its mission is to promote “the standards and ethics of its member companies.” To receive the voluntary AAA Certification from NAID, a paper shredding company must meet and uphold strict requirements every year.
Why Hire a AAA Certified Shredding Company
How does AAA certification benefit you, our customer? By choosing a NAID AAA Certified company, you protect your business, your staff and your clients/patients. The use of a AAA certified facility fulfills federal regulatory requirements that affect your business and validates your information destruction policies and procedures.
Through the AAA Certification Program, NAID assesses the mobile and facility-based operations and destruction of paper, printed media, micromedia, and computer hard drives. The certification must be renewed every year. The purpose of certification is to guarantee that the facility is meeting all of the numerous laws and regulations that protect confidential customer information — thereby, protecting your business and your customers. The audits are unannounced, so we must operate every day and every hour as if an audit will occur.
While at our facility the NAID auditor will:
- Verify that all materials are crosscut shredded, incinerated or pulped in such a way that they cannot be reconstructed.
- Examine storage containers used for information to be destroyed to verify the containers are secured.
- Verify that cardholder data on electronic media is rendered unrecoverable via a secure wipe program in accordance with industry-accepted standards for secure deletion or otherwise physically destroying the media (e.g., degaussing).
- Verify the security of confidential documents throughout all stages of the shredding process such as handling, transporting, storing materials prior to destruction, and destroying and disposing of materials responsibly. This also includes any transfer of custody scenarios.
Paper Shredding Services in Fort Wayne
NAID’s certification program was “developed by information security professionals and recognized by thousands of private and governmental organizations around the world”. Federal Records Management and Shredding, a locally-owned business in downtown Fort Wayne, is proud to be a AAA Certified shredding company and offers our customers the very best in confidential shredding services and destruction. Contact us today to learn more about our shredding services to protect you, your business, your employees, and your customers.